Saturday, September 1, 2007

Lhasa, March 2006 #2


Happy Equinox everyone!

I hear spring is in full bloom in the South – azaleas are up, daffodils have come and gone, the dogwoods are just beginning to hint at opening, but here it is still chilly in the daytime and damn near cold at night. There is snow still on the mountain tops and the winds bring a serious nip with them. Being a lover of winter, snow, cold and mountains (and getting a serious spring tease in Nepal), I’m not complaining too much. In honor this most sacred Earth day, I want to share two poems with you –

-

The Grasses by Rumi

The same wind that uproots trees

makes the grass shine.

The lordly wind loves the weakness

and the lowness of grasses.

Never brag of being strong.

The axe doesn’t worry how thick the braches are.

It cuts them to pieces. But not the leaves.

It leaves the leaves alone.

A flame doesn’t consider the size of the woodpile.

A butcher doesn’t run from a flock of sheep.

What is form in the presence of reality?

Very feeble. Reality keeps the sky turned over

like a cup above us, revolving. Who turns

the sky wheel? The universal intelligence.

And the motion of the body comes

from the spirit like a waterwheel

that’s held in a stream.

The inhaling-exhaling is from spirit,

now angry, now peaceful.

Wind destroys and wind protects.

There is no reality but God,

says the completely surrendered sheikh,

who is an ocean for all beings.

The levels of creation are straws in that ocean.

The movement of the straws comes from an agitation

in the water. When the ocean wants the straws calm,

it sends them close to shore. When it wants them

back in the deep surge, it does with them

as the wind does with the grasses.

This never ends.

-

Spring Azures by Mary Oliver

In spring the blue azures bow down

at the edges of shallow puddles

to drink the black rain water.

Then they rise and float away into the fields.

Sometimes the great bones of my life feel so heavy,

and all the tricks my body knows –

the opposable thumbs, the kneecaps,

and the mind clicking and clicking –

don’t seem enough to carry me though this world

and I think: how I would like

to have wings –

blue ones –

ribbons of flame.

How I would like to open them, and rise

from the black rain water.

And then I think of Blake, in the dirt and sweat of London – a boy

staring through the window, when God came

fluttering up.

Of course, he screamed,

seeing the bobbin of God’s blue body

leaning on the sill,

and the thousand-faceted eyes.

Well, who knows.

Who knows what hung, fluttering, at the window

between him and the darkness.

Anyway, Blake the hosier’s son stood up

and turned away from the sooty sill and the dark city –

turned away forever

from the factories, the personal strivings,

to a live of the imagination.

-

Damn! That’s good stuff….

Sadly, however, the last few days I’ve been pretty sick with some sort of flu bug and it’s really knocked me out – low energy, body aches, stuffy head, sneezing, coughing, blah, blah, blah….and now, as I’m on the mend and beginning to feel better, my poor nurse of a wife has been laid out. As we all know, being sick sucks. But being sick in a foreign country, in a foreign house, with no moms to make you chicken soup and no comfortable bed to curl up in and watch entire seasons of the Sorpanos in a day, it all makes being sick even worse! Don’t get me wrong. Leigh has taken extraordinary care of me, as I am trying to with her now, but that yucky feeling is just accentuated when there is none of you comfort things around you.

And like the super nice guy I am, I left my sick wife in bed today alone so I could go climb a mountain in honor of the Equinox. Of course, she gave me a kitchen pass, took the ol’ ball and chain off, and let me go…but not before sneezing on me.

It was day one of feeling better and I knew I was going to be pushing my body, but at the same time my body needed it. For days I’d been laid up in the dark cave of a room we have and so even if my body wasn’t ready for it, my mind was eager to do something physically demanding. Nothing like a good, 2000 feet virtually straight up climb to really loosen the phlegm let me tell you! The object of my conquest was a small mountain right on the other side of the river from Lhasa called Bompu-ri. Considered a holy mountain for Tibetans, being relatively squat compared to some of the soaring spires around, bedecked with prayer flags and within easy bike/walk distance from our hotel made it an attractive and obvious choice for my first Tibet mountain climb (drum roll please….). Riding my bike (Did I tell you yet that Leigh and went to get bikes the other day? We went to Thieves Island – awesome name huh? There we bought a brand new banana yellow cruiser for Leigh and I got a totally beat up piece of shit ten-speed with terrible brakes, uncomfortable seat and wobbly tires. Of course it only cost me 17$, so again, I can’t complain.) East for a couple kms and locked it up on Tibet University’s campus. From there it was a walk over the Kyichu River (the river of happiness), past Chinese military check posts (as this is the main bridge into Lhasa from the East, through the cement factory grounds to the pilgrim’s trail leading up….steeply.

I should say at this point that this is the highest I have ever lived in my short life. Let’s see, Atlanta, Denver, Athens, Arcata, Greenwich and Singapore. Lhasa is situated at 10,500 feet, which makes it the lowest part of Tibet besides some of the border areas. That’s 5,000 feet (almost a mile, mind you) higher than Denver and 10,000 feet higher than Atlanta! No need to wonder why I haven’t been sleeping very well. Just walking up a flight of stairs gets the breathing heavy.

Did you know that at 15,000 feet there is 50% less oxygen than at sea level? So at 10,000 feet there was only 2/3 the amount of oxygen I am normally used to. So even after just the bike ride and walk, all along flat ground as Lhasa is a river valley and surprisingly very flat, I was noticing the need for deeper breathing. Left foot, inhale, right foot, exhale, left foot, inhale, right foot, exhale. It was necessary for me to stop every 5 minutes or so to catch my breath. Amazing. But I was determined. Stubborn is what others may say. After 2 ½ hours of hard climbing, sometimes having to use my hands and scramble, I made it to the top! At least the first top as there were 2 more ‘tops’ further up, but I was definitely not pushing myself any further than I already had. The views were spectacular! The whole of Lhasa valley was laid out below me. I could see all the way to the western end where the new railroad station is being built (linking mainland China to the Tibetan capital – an incredible undertaking that many outside experts see being impossible to maintain – and essentially making it much, much easier for tourists or migrants or settlers from the industrial East to travel here) and where the new superhighway clover-leaf interchange is being constructed as well. In the middle of the valley, rising above the rest and being the most dominant thing visible, was the white castle Potala. Then to the east stretched the most greenhouses I have ever seen in one place. The city of Lhasa, now that it has a very large percentage of Chinese living here, is dependant on the greenhouse for food. The short summers, high altitude and dry climate make it difficult to grow anything but barley, potatoes traditionally, though Leigh tells me they have fruit and nut trees and several other types of vegetables available but not nearly to the scale to support the burgeoning population here.

Unfortunately, I could not really stay very long on the summit and enjoy the panoramas as the wind was ferocious. There were a couple gusts that almost knocked me over! And my poor ears and cheeks couldn’t really take the abuse being blown on them. So after a few photos and thanks and praises to the Mother, I began the equally difficult but dramatically shorter decent back to the river and city below.

There is really nothing like fresh pressed coffee in the morning! We now have our kitchen set up and our cupboards are stocked. Just last night we had a chili, cheese and pudding party with some of our American friends here. I found some dry kidney beans the other day walking through this really incredible market behind the Potala. About the 3/4ths the size of a football field and under a metal roof, it had everything. And I’m not kidding when I say everything – live ducks and chickens in cages stacked tall, live fishes of all sorts in various sized tanks, live water eels slithering around their colorful buckets, live turtles and frogs sitting placidly in their containers awaiting their fates, live rabbits nibbling away at their last meal of lettuce; there were butchers galore hacking away, selling choice cuts of flesh as well as every other imaginable part of the pig, yak or cow; next was the sauces and spices section – chili, clove, pepper, anise, cardamom, turmeric, sugar, salt, and the ever-present weijin (MSG), where the smells were pungent and stimulating; and then there was the very colorful and appetizing vegetable section, where I lingered for an hour looking at all the varieties of potatoes, tomatoes, spinach, boc choy, celery, lettuce, squash, pumpkin, bell peppers, garlic, onions, ginger, and my favorite oyster mushrooms! I gazed upon these colorful wonders with mixed feelings. On one hand, I am SO HAPPY to see so many different types of vegetables available here (makes me really wonder about the beginning of my carnivorous habits again), but on the other hand, I know that all of these veggie delights were chemically and artificially grown a few miles east in those hundreds of greenhouses I saw from the top of the mountain. Dilemma – there are lots of veggies but they are all socked full of pesticides, hormones and preservatives. I guess my organic standards are a little hard to maintain at 10,500 feet at the end of winter, huh? Damn! But you know what’s interesting? The main reason I became a vegetarian was in protest of the American meat and poultry standards of processing – the feed lots, the slaughterhouses, the cages, the lack of ‘free-range’, the hormones, etc. Here, basically all of the meat is free-range organic. The yak comes from the nomads up in the mountains, the chicken and duck come from farms located outside the city where (as far as I know) there are no cages and the pig, well, fuck the swine….I still can’t eat any animal that rolls around in it’s own shit. Anyway, back to the beans…..this whole tangent started because I found beans (not coffee, but kidney) and I made chili. Wow! It had been since before we left the States since any of us had eaten real beans (I don’t count dal or lentils). It was delicious! And one of our invited guests had just received a care package of various cheeses – Gouda, Blue, Havarti and Goat…..OH MY GOD, CHEESE!!! And she also brought over green and kalamati olives too! You see, it’s the little things. Potala, built in whatever century…big deal, but fresh goat cheese with kalamati olives….forget about it!

I’m kidding about the Potala. It is a big deal, as I’ve said before. But damn….cheese…..

The spring is trying to poke its head out here, but there have been many mornings when we leave the hotel when there is a fresh coating of whiteness on the peaks surrounding the valley. Such a beautiful site! But makes for fairly chilly days and cold nights still. Which reminds me, this is a sadly funny story - before we left, we mailed to ourselves here a stack of art magazines for the art department and artists here (Thank you Art Papers! www.artpapers.com or .org), a set of flannel sheets for the bed, an electric blanket and some tin of Aztec hot chocolate (chocolate and cayenne like the Aztecs used to drink it – very yummy!). We mailed it M bag, which is media rate. And for the 40 lbs it was it only cost us 40$ to ship to Tibet. Not bad, huh? But it takes forever and these first couple weeks here without the sheets and blanket were long. When the package finally arrived a couple days ago, we were so excited! However, it quickly became apparent that our chocolate was gone….probably in the hands of some Chinese customs official somewhere down the line. Well, I hope he/she gets a good surprise when they take their first big gulp of that spiced chocolate….burns burns burns that cup of chocolate, that cup of chocolate. The important things were there though, the sheets (oh, so comfortable), the magazines (big hit with the artists!) and the electric blanket. Now, in our excitement to get our new bed set up, resplendent with flannel sheets and electric blanket, we forgot that China’s electricity is 220V and America (where this fine piece of sleeping comfort technology was produced for) is 110V. That means that basically twice the juice comes out of those outlets when you plug something in. We haven’t had to think about it too much because everything that we’ve plugged in so far – computers, iPods, battery chargers, etc- has either had a converter or can take up to 240V. I think you can see what happened. So in our blissful haste to enjoy the humming warmth of wire and cloth, we plug in the blanket. Immediately, there is a loud pop, a bright spark, and then….nothing. On the day we got it, after waiting more than two months, costing us valuable dollars to send, we had officially shorted our precious electric blanket before ever getting it completely out of its packaging. Woe the irony! I can hear the Gods laughing now….

We’ll see if we can find someone to repair it, but the outlook is grim….

If the Potala is the symbol of the Tibetans, then the Jokhang is the heart. Literally meaning the building of the Jo, it is the spiritually center for all for all of Tibet and the most sacred site for Tibetan Buddhism in the entire world. Estimated dates for the Jokhang’s founding range from 639 to 647 AD. That’s only roughly 150 years after the collapse of the Roman Empire! In fact, there are carved wooden lions that adorn the covered inner courtyard and are part of the first structure there. These juniper pieces of wood have been carbon dated and ring counted and the consensus is that these huge juniper logs came from a tree that germinated (took root from a seed) over 800 years before they were felled for the temple, which puts them older than the birth of Christ! Construction was initiated by King Songtsen Gampo to house the image of Miryoba, a part of the dowry from his Nepali wife Princess Bhrikuti. At the same time the Ramoche Temple was constructed to house another Buddha image, Jowo Sakyamuni, brought to Tibet by his Chinese wife Princess Wenchung. (Pretty pimpin’ eh? Two wifes, two Buddha statues….must be nice to be a King…). After the death of Songtsen Gampo, the Jowo was moved to the Jokhang for its protection and hidden there. The image has remained there ever since. Over the years it has undergone many renovations and even survived some very nasty occupiers in the 1950’s and 60’s and today there are very few signs of the misfortunes that had befallen the ancient temple in recent years.

Rising early on the morning of the full moon (March 14th), the last day of Losar, Leigh took me to meet the Jo (as the statue is called) for the first time. Making our way through the maze of winding alleys between our hotel and the Jokhang (we are living in the old Tibetan neighborhood) in the pre-dawn light, we joined the throng of pilgrims and locals doing kora around the temple. The feeling of anticipation and curiosity sat strongly on me as I also felt a powerful sense of how old this building is, how many millions of pilgrims have traveled thousands of miles over the many centuries, and what a small part of this sacred community of devout I was at that moment. Passing the hundreds of constantly prostrating souls at the main doors, we entered the temple complex and immediately went to get in line for the inner sanctuary, where the Jo is housed. Fortunately, we had timed it right and our early hour entry insured us of a very small line to get in. In just another hour or two the line would be out the door and wrapping around the building, the wait to see the Jo would be over 4 hours. Once inside the butter lamp illuminated temple, we began our shuffling procession through the many various side rooms, giving small donations, and paying homage to others in the long line of Tibetan Buddhism lineage. Passing underneath archways and pillars that were dated to the 7th century, my ego took a backseat to my humbleness and appreciation and honor at being here. In all the time we spent in the temple and all the beautiful faces we encountered inside the sanctum, we were the only white people to be seen. The short line outside was misleading because there were still hundreds of people on the inside in a shuffling line of devout, prayer murmuring pilgrims. Following the course clockwise around, we eventually came to the main statue room, the Jo room. With many prostrating directly in front of the statue and the majority of the rest in attendance shuffling around, we were caught in the throng and pushed along into the statue room. Before making our circle around, we offered kata and touched our forehead to the left leg and had a small moment to gaze in wonder at the most sacred image in all of Tibet before being tapped on the back by a monk bouncer letting us know it was time to keep moving. Smaller than I thought it would be, it was still impressive. Bejeweled in semi-precious stones and gilded in gold, it is a most moving vision. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), there is no photography allowed in the Jokhang, so the visions are for the beholder alone and my words can do little justice.

That night, with visions of ancient Buddhas floating in my mind, I drifted off to a restless slumber with the sounds of celebratory fireworks echoing across the city in my ears.